Friday, August 15, 2008

I Might Just Move to Belgium for the Waffles

Ok so the title is not totally true, so no one get freaked out :) They are really good though. Today has been a really fun day! We had orientation in our classes, except French... which I am thinking is pretty important. I am really loving this trip. It still hasn't hit me that I am in Europe except that the food is different and people are speaking another language. Mom would have really been proud of me because of what I ate today. Our lunch was another Belgian dish that was potatoes, green beans, vinegar, cream, and bacon all mixed together and I ate it!! Not all of it... but I ate most of it!!
After lunch, we went to Liege (pronounced Lee-Age, the G is sort of a soft G) because today was a Catholic holiday and they were having a parade. To be perfectly honest, it was not spectacular. The town was ridiculously crowded because of the festivities and people were literally drinking EVERYWHERE (what a way to celebrate a Catholic holiday! ha!). We were walking around trying to find a place to get Belgian waffles because we were all starving. After walking around for about 45 minutes we finally found a vender selling waffles. It was WELL worth the wait! We all got ones with warm chocolate sauce poured on them and they were WONDERFUL! I never imagined that they would be that tasty!
I wish that I knew at least some French. I'm not one that expects people to speak English everywhere I go, but I just wish that I knew how to say a few simple phrases. It was incredibly difficult ordering today. I really hope that I learn at least enough to communicate some, and I'm sure that my lack of French and desire to communicate will help me learn! :)
After we returned from Liege, we ate dinner and then a few of us went down to play in these fountains that are in the town square. They are fountains that come up from the ground and are for looking pretty and playing in. The water was extremely cold and it was a little chilly out. It was so much fun that I didn't care that it was cold, nor did I care that I slipped and fell on my rear end twice! :) It was so funny! After the fountains we had tea time in the facility and sat around and talked for a while. I have really enjoyed getting to know new people.
The one thing that I want to end on is something that Dr. Johnson said in Bible class this morning. Our class is on Paul, but he said that we are really in a unique place to study the Bible. We are in a place where Catholics and Protestants have fought for years. In a place where there has been so much hypocrisy that people don't want anything to do with religion. How sad is that? Someone showed them the absolute wrong way to live and now they want nothing to do with the right way. It really gave me something to think about. I think it shows just how important our influence can be for someone's soul.

Good night all! Love you lots!
<3Me

3 comments:

Kel said...

Waffles...yummy. I have a craving now, but like you said, I'm sure the waffles I crave taste nothing like the ones you had. :)

And that's amazing and sad about the Protestants and the Catholics. Unfortunately, it's starting to get that way with America. :(

Well, go have fun and learn French! I love you and miss you.

Lea Mayo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lea Mayo said...

je veux un Big Mac Menu.
My key phrase to success in Belgium... of course, back then I was a very picky eater. And quite spoiled. Je veux (I want) was the heart of every French statement I learned. ;) Do better than I did!!!