Thursday, August 14, 2008

First European Post :)

I honestly cannot remember the last time I was this tired.  Tired isn't even the right word.  I am completely exhausted.  Our flight left Memphis at 7:20 p.m. and we have been going ever since  The girl that sat next to me on the flight from Memphis to Amsterdam was from Poland.  She liked to talk and she also liked to drink.  A lot.  As soon as she sat down I could smell alcohol, and I has to endure the awful stench for over 8 hours, all the way to Amsterdam.  When we finally arrived in Amsterdam, I could breath fresh air again, but we were completely confused because of mixed-up communication.  We ended up getting to our gate on time though, and then our flight to Brussels was delayed by about a half hour.  Our flight from Amsterdam to Brussels was on a tiny little plane, barely bigger than a turbo-prop and it sounded like a flying lawn mower :)  
Upon arrival at Brussels, we realized that we had no idea if someone was going to pick us up at the airport, nor did we know if our luggage had made it.  One girl (Joanna) lost her luggage because of a mix-up in Memphis.  Fortunately, she is close to the same size as Sara and I are, so she is planning on borrowing some of our clothes until her bag arrives.  After standing around the baggage claim area for a while with no one to pick us up, we finally realized that Philippe would be waiting for us at the exit.
We immediately headed to the Eurail and boarded our train.  The European countryside is so beautiful and I cannot believe that I am able to enjoy it for three months!! :) While on the train today, Philippe told me that they would like for me to be an R.A. of one of the girls' rooms.  I am watching over about sixteen girls, and getting paid 50 euros a week!  The only downside is that every third night, I have to stay up until one a.m. to lock up the hang out room... and considering the profit, that's not a significant downside.  
I am really enjoying spending time here with some of my friends.  We had Belgian food for dinner and it was so wonderful!  After dinner, Philippe took several of us on a tour of Belgium and we made our first European ATM withdrawals and ate our first European ice cream!  It is so silly how I want to take pictures of every little detail.  I suppose I just don't want to forget anything at all.  
I know that I could have so much more to write about, but I am so exhausted that I can not even think straight.  It has been far too many hours since I got any decent sleep.

Good night to all!  Love and miss you all very much!
-- Me <3


4 comments:

Jena Estes said...

So glad you arrived safely! Enjoy every minute. An RA...you make me so proud! :) Following in my footsteps again!! What a special niece you are! We love you!
Aunt Jena

Unknown said...

Wow, Casey, you might come home with money in your pocket. But then what will the motivation be to babysit? We are glad you are safe. Enjoy and be careful. Make good choices! Lots of love, the Jordans

KREE!! said...

Oh I love the Polish! they have good sausage! lol!! Sounds like that was an interesting plane ride!!
Glad you made it safe!! You better run that camera dry with Pictures!! love you :P

Kel said...

Awww, Casey! How awesome! Okay, educate me. 50 euros = how much in American money? Love you, miss you. :)